Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! This is a place for me to organize and display my thoughts on education and get feedback. My current plan is to open a private high school called Murray Academy. Above are pages with my most recent thoughts. Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Social Studies

12 - 20th and 21st Century/World Topics
11 - European History
10 - American History
9 - World History 



I'm not sure what most middle schoolers learn in social studies, but I think another way to promote multiculturalism would be to do world history and American history in different years and a year (or semester) of the history of each continent. That could mean that world history could have more of a focus on the relationship between the histories of all of the continents. This could translate into: 



12 - 20th and 21st Century/World Topics
11 - World History 
10 - American History (North American History?)
9 - European History
8 - South America and Asia
7 - Africa and Australia

In 21st Century Topics, students should be asked to write a letter to government officials about current issues. This could be a big project that combines English, courtesy (culture), current events, and promote the understanding that they can make a difference in the world. 


Each student should also have a pen pal in the continent studied in the class. Each should write a reflection at the end of the course that could compare what he learned in the class with what the pen pal says and what the student and pen pal think should be studied in that class. 


I think a good way to structure at least part of the class would be like I described in my post "Learning in the Class" (http://educatorjasmine.blogspot.com/2012/03/learning-in-class.html). 

No comments:

Post a Comment