Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! This is a place for me to organize and display my thoughts on education and get feedback. My current plan is to open a private high school called Murray Academy. Above are pages with my most recent thoughts. Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Experimental Sciences

I consider the experimental sciences to be chemistry, physics, and biology. 


9 - Intro to chemistry, physics, and biology 
10-12 - Take one of those three for one year and another one for two years


The idea is that each student is exposed to all three of them, not all students are well-suited for all three, and students should have advanced study in at least one of these fields. An alternative schedule would be: 


9-12 - Two years of two of the three sciences (Chemistry 1+2 and Physics 1+2, Chemistry 1+2 and Biology 1+2, or Physics 1+2 and Biology 1+2)
8 - Intro to chemistry, physics, and biology 


However, this could be a problem because students may not know which sciences they want to study for two years until after the first year. Depending on how early I could start students with Chemistry, Biology, and Physics, I could just require that the second year of two of the sciences in high school, so the schedule could be: 


6 - Intro to chemistry, physics, and biology 
7-12 - first year of all three and second year of at least two of them 


However, this one could be a problem because I worry that middle school students could not handle the second year of one of the sciences or that they would take the first year of both of them and have to skip a year or two before getting to the second year of the subject. 


I also want to make sure that ethics (like bioethics) is present and emphasized. 

No comments:

Post a Comment