Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! This is a place for me to organize and display my thoughts on education and get feedback. My current plan is to open a private high school called Murray Academy. Above are pages with my most recent thoughts. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Schedule - High School

Updated 6/1/12:
I am now realizing that I was planning on expecting a LOT more than I should of these kids. I want them to be well-rounded, but I cannot make every kid excellent at so much. New plan: 

Mondays, Wednesdays, and every other Friday: classes 1-4
Tuesdays, Thursdays, and every other Friday: classes 5-8

Friday afternoons: possibly a half day. This could still be a good time for SOMETHING. Some weeks it could be seminars, some weeks guest speakers, some weeks team building, etc. 

Job: These kids "jobs" are to be excellent students, and that is it when they are with me. 

Volunteering: Maybe there can be optional volunteer trips on the weekends and holidays (definitely awesome service trips in the summers). Perhaps I can require a few hours like NHS does, but not much more. 

Sports: Still haven't quite figured that one out, but this is a school for advanced academics, not advanced sports (coming to that later...). 



To see my previously planned schedule: 


Mondays, Wednesdays, and every other Friday: classes 1-5
Tuesdays, Thursdays, and every other Friday: classes 6-10

Wednesdays after classes: everyone attends team building and leadership lessons/games
Fridays: half day?, second half filled with lectures for all students - combination of guest lecturers and lectures on topics like buying a house and having good relationships, trying to keep them interesting and informative. I'm still considering this, but I do not think it will actually work out this way. Maybe this could be something short on Friday after school or after dinner or something.

Job: I'd like every high school student to have a job (like college work study jobs) that they have to have for three hours every week. They should get paid minimum wage, which should be deposited into their personal bank accounts. Employers should be encouraged to ask good workers to come back to that job the next year and to be references for students who ask.

Saturday afternoons?: volunteer activities should be set up at this time for each grade, just a few hours so as not to take up students' weekend

An alternative is that Varsity sports could meet Saturday morning then Junior Varsity sports/non competitive sports could meet in the afternoon. All students would be required to be part of a sport. Maybe I could even take out a PE class after middle school because of this? Then Saturday evening could be the team building/leadership games/lessons. But then what to do about volunteer activities and any possible field trips I want my kids to be able to take? Maybe there could be various volunteer activities for students to choose from in the morning and afternoon, so it doesn't matter if they're in varsity or JV sports. And they wouldn't have to go each week, so they could pick and choose which weeks to volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment