Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! This is a place for me to organize and display my thoughts on education and get feedback. My current plan is to open a private high school called Murray Academy. Above are pages with my most recent thoughts. Enjoy!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Seminars

I've played around in my head with the idea and frequency of seminars (at the high school level) that teach things like how to maintain positive relationships and how to buy a house (http://educatorjasmine.blogspot.com/2012/02/usefulness-classesseminars.html). I'm pretty sure I want them to be in the afternoon on Fridays - the second half of a half day of classes (http://educatorjasmine.blogspot.com/2012/03/schedule-high-school.html) - but I'm not positive.

Each student would keep a binder all four years of high school for these seminars, and every speaker would have one sheet of paper that they would fill to give to the students for their binders. The binders could be split into sections like emergency, relationships (incl. friends, family, coworkers, etc), schools (incl. college), future (like buying a house, balancing checkbook), and any others I find relevant. Students could take notes on parts of the seminar, too, to make sure they're paying attention. These binders should be kept at the school over the summer and breaks so they are not misplaced. Transfer students should be given a partial binder of old papers. They don't have to be exactly the same as their classmates' (maybe from a few years before) but similar. 


The students would have something like a homeroom to check into before and after each seminar to make sure they were going. These teachers would also check each day to make sure the student had their seminar folder and attended the seminar (and got a paper). Also, once each month, the homeroom teacher would give marks for the binder being organized and the papers filed into the sections. I think this could be worth something like 5% of the culture class grade. 


Even if each student gets one paper every Friday all four years, there will only be about 120 pages in their binder by the end of their senior year, which is not excessive. This number is calculated by estimating 30 weeks of seminars each year and 4 years. Every now and then, the students could get the afternoon off (but not so much that an afternoon off is expected). 

No comments:

Post a Comment