Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! This is a place for me to organize and display my thoughts on education and get feedback. My current plan is to open a private high school called Murray Academy. Above are pages with my most recent thoughts. Enjoy!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Typing and Spelling

I remember in elementary school going through the torturous typing classes and the horrendous and never-ending spelling and vocabulary tests, and I can guarantee I'll put my students through the exact same thing! Of course I don't want them to be torturous and horrendous, but those subjects need to be taught well.

Too many of my friends, even at the college level, still type using only two fingers, while I'm sitting here remembering my typing teachers covering my hands with blankets and turning off my monitors while I typed, teaching me to type extremely well.

As for spelling tests, I have heard that some schools aren't even giving them to students anymore because it's so easy to look things up, and we have autocorrect everywhere. I'm a horrible speller, but I'd be AWFUL if it hadn't been for all of those spelling tests I've had that forced me to learn.

Today, while I was tutoring ESL (English as a Second Language) students at the local high school, I realized that spellcheck really can help spelling - this one student would spell something wrong, I would help her find the right way to spell it, then she would remember the correct spelling when she had to type the word again a few minutes later - but I'd like students to have a solid spelling (and typing) foundation before getting to middle and high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment