Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! This is a place for me to organize and display my thoughts on education and get feedback. My current plan is to open a private high school called Murray Academy. Above are pages with my most recent thoughts. Enjoy!

Friday, August 3, 2012

Free Online Courses

While I've been doing this internship at the Department of Education this summer, I've been working with a lot of online courses, in particular, free ones. Should I require students to take one free online course from a site like edX or Coursera?

There was also an interesting question raised at the AEI event: Should online classes be for lower-level courses (like they mostly are now) or for higher-level courses because more-advanced students need less guidance?

I'm also thinking that some students who do not come in at the same levels (like in math) should take online courses to get caught up. For instance, if I'm starting freshman with geometry (to move into Algebre II next), then students who didn't take Algebra I in middle school could take it online during their freshman year and be caught up in time for sophomore year.

No comments:

Post a Comment