Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! This is a place for me to organize and display my thoughts on education and get feedback. My current plan is to open a private high school called Murray Academy. Above are pages with my most recent thoughts. Enjoy!

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Flipped Classrooms

I am getting more and more drawn toward the idea of flipped classrooms. I was pleasantly surprised to see that flipped classrooms work best for subjects like math, science, and foreign language (which I had never thought of before).This would lower the homework load (less teacher grading) and increase student success for students like my high school friend Bryce. He had quite a few problems in school: he had a hard time paying attention to lectures in class; he could rarely do homework without a teacher present; he had trouble concentrating on assignments when someone wasn’t forcing him to do them. A flipped classroom would help all of those problems. I did not have the same problems as Bryce, but I did have my own, particularly with below-average teachers and unmotivated students: lectures were too complicated for my tastes; homework didn’t reflect my skill level; other students constantly wanted to copy my homework. With a flipped classroom, videos are often more to-the-point and have fewer errors. The teacher could give me work in class based on my understanding of the topic and how well I do with the work assigned. Because the teacher is there, students will rely on help more and on copying less.

No comments:

Post a Comment