Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! This is a place for me to organize and display my thoughts on education and get feedback. My current plan is to open a private high school called Murray Academy. Above are pages with my most recent thoughts. Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Paul Quinn College Food Program

As part of my internship, I went to the closing remarks of the White House Interfaith Challenge at Howard University. One of the speakers was Michael Sorrel of Paul Quinn College in Dallas, TX. He told an incredible story:

About two years ago, Paul Quinn College, a historically black school of only 200 students, cut their football program - practically a criminal thing to do in Texas - to start growing organic food on the field to use, sell, and give away. The purpose was to teach its students about taking steps to fight problems in their communities, and the biggest problem in the area was getting food. This student-run program has decided to give 10% of the food grown to the local community and use the rest in their cafeterias or sell it.

This story was incredible, and the lesson these educators are teaching their students, about helping their communities, is truly priceless.

An article about the program.
Information about the Presidential Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment