Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! This is a place for me to organize and display my thoughts on education and get feedback. My current plan is to open a private high school called Murray Academy. Above are pages with my most recent thoughts. Enjoy!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Higher Math and Science

My resolve may waver at some point, so I must write this down now: I MUST require my students to have higher levels of science and math. In my comparative education class today, we watched a video called "2 Million Minutes" (apparently there are about two million minutes in the life of a high school student across the four years), which compared education in the United States to that in India and China, and I was a little ashamed to be an American.

One point that particularly stood out to me was that many American students do not take any science past general chemistry or math past algebra 2 and that most parents and administrators think we are teaching our students enough math and science. The video stressed that Americans do not realize that we are lagging behind on the global scale and that we need to step up our game.

Summary: We need a lot more science and a lot more math, and that is going into my school. I'm pretty sure I want my kids in math up to calculus and statistics and higher level science in at least a few of the subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment